- 1 leg of pork (approx. 4-5 lbs)
- Curing solution (brown sugar, cup rock salt, saltpeter(salitre))
- Wash thoroughly to remove blood.
- Make 2-3 slices in the thick portion of meat and hang to drip.
- Prepare curing solution (for every kilo of meat): 1/3 cup brown sugar 1 cup rock salt 1/2 tsp saltpeter (salitre)
- Mix ingredients thoroughly and divide into 3 parts.
- Rub one part of the mixture on the meat and place in a curing vessel. (Use nonmetal container).
- Leave for 2 days in a cool place or refrigerator. On the 3rd day, resalt with the other 1/3 curing mixture, turn and leave for another 2 days. On the 5th day, turn meat and resalt again with the other third mixture. Let stand for another 2 days.
- On the 7th day, wash meat and soak until no more salt is on the meat.
- Let meat drip for 30 minutes.
- If you want to smoke, this is the stage to smoke it, if not, then it is ready to be cooked.
- To smoke: Rub cured meat with ground pepper and pieces of bay leaf mixture.
- Smoke over an improvised smoking chamber, using live coals over which are place dried guava leaves, corn cobs, rice hulls and sawdust. Do not let fire burn.
- After 6-10 hours, the ham is ready to be cooked or stored).
- To cook: 1/3 cup sugar powdered black pepper 1/4 cup wine Let simmer until meat is tender.
- To glaze: Place brown sugar all over the fatty portion of the ham. Brown in the broiler until sugar melts.
- Slice and serve.