- 1 chicken, cut into serving sizes
- 1 cup sampalok (tamarind) tops and flowers
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp sliced ginger
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 cups water
- patis to taste
- oil for frying
- In a saucepan, saute garlic and ginger until golden brown. Add onion and tomatoes and cook until tender. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Wrap sampalok tops and flowers in cheesecloth, making sure that the ends of the cloth are tied. Combine the wrapped sampalok and the other ingredietns in another pan. Let boil, then add the chicken mixture.
- Continue cooking until the meat becomes tender. Season to taste. Remove the wrapped sampalok. Serve hot.