- 200 g malagkit (sticky) rice, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- meat of 1/2 coconut, grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- oil for deep frying
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
For coconut sauce:
- Soften the malagkit rice by soaking it in water overnight. Drain and set aside the liquid.
- Use the blender or food processor to grind the rice finely. Add a little of the reserved liquid gradually until the rice becomes dough-like in consistency.
- Combine the grated coconut meat with the ground rice. Add the baking powder, then mix well.
- Shape the dough into balls using your hands.
- Heat oil in a work. Deep fry the balls until golden brown. Remove from oil and drain thoroughly on paper towels. Set aside.
- To prepare the coconut sauce: Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan, stirring constantly for 10-15 minutes to prevent clotting. Add the brown sugar, and continue cooking until the mixture becomes smooth and thick. Remove from heat.
- If desired, put the rice balls on bamboo skewers. Pour the coconut sauce on the rice balls or serve the sauce separately.