- 12 dressed pugo (quails)
- 75 ml. soy sauce
- 125 ml. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 0.5 tsp. black peppercorns
- 50 g. pork fat, chopped
- oil for frying
- Arrange the quails in a casserole, and the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns and pork and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Add water to cover and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1 hour. Remove quails from the sauce and allow to dry.
- Heat the oil until moderately hot and deep-fry the quails, then remove, allow to cool and debone carefully, keeping the breasts intact. Transfer to a platter.
- Re-heat the sauce and simmer until it reaches a desired consistency, then pour over the quails and serve immediately.